Tuesday, October 14, 2008

TWD: Lenox Almond Biscotti



This week's TWD, Lenox Almond Biscotti, was selected by Gretchen of Canela & Comino. I've made biscotti a few times in the past, and while it was ok, I've never been much of a fan of how hard and dry biscotti can be. I like moist and chewy cookies, so this was definitely going to be a recipe to take to work and share with others, unlike the Malted Chocolate Whopper Drops from a few weeks ago which I ate tons of while sitting on the couch watching tv! Don't judge, they were good and totally worth it!

But I did decide that these biscotti needed to be "jazzed" up a bit, so I added in white chocolate chips, dried cranberries and dried cherries. The addition of cornmeal to this recipe was a bit surprising, I was skeptical, but I used it anyway. Many TWDers said they didn't like the cormeal, that it made the biscotti kind of gritty, and I have to agree. If I were to make this recipe again, I would leave out the cornmeal.

The bake time seems very short for these biscotti, only 15 minutes each time you bake them (biscotti are basically twice baked cookies). Maybe I should have baked them longer, but I sort of liked that they were not rock hard as most biscotti I have tried before tend to be.

While this wasn't my most favorite TWD recipe, I did enjoy it. With the additional of the white chocolate chips, and dried cranberries and cherries, this reminded me of the perfect cookie for Christmas time.


9 comments:

Fit Chick said...

Glad you at least tried the recipe. I haven't liked every recipe either but I did like this one. Your biscotti look good to me!

Engineer Baker said...

They look plenty tasty to me, so I'm glad you at least gave them a try.

Leslie said...

Your biscotti look great!

Bungalow Barbara said...

They look great! I love your flavor combination.

Shari said...

This was my favorite TWD recipe so far. I like your idea of adding white chocolate chips, dried cranberries and dried cherries!

Amanda said...

Mine aren't completely crispy either, but the flavor is awesome. It's funny, I read that about the cornmeal too, but it didn't bother me. In fact I forgot it was in there until I started reading comments today LOL Your additions sound yummy, I think I'll try this again some day with different ingredients, though I definitely LOVE the almond :)

AmyRuth said...

I like chewy cookies too, but, these were outstanding. I am a new fan of biscotti. Yours are very pretty and I like your cranberries, cherries and white chocolate.
AmyRuth

Marthe said...

Your biscotti look great!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Your add-ins sound tasty and I am glad you liked them at least a little bit.